Sunday, February 10, 2008

February 9, 2008 Davenport, FL


Although not as tough as in Michigan, things are mighty tough in the construction market in Florida. Here is an example. A large field at the intersection of I-4 and US 27 is the new temporary home for thousands of pieces of heavy construction equipment. The numbers are growing every day. As the construction market has slowed considerably, the equipment is being brought to this location from all around the area. In about a month there will be a large auction on this equipment and people from around the world are reportedly coming here to buy these cherry pickers, bulldozers, small Bobcats, earthmovers and all the rest. We will try to get a better shot of this field. We passed it last evening and saw the opportunity for this shot as we were entering the freeway. I am working one short day this week at Disney and just received my schedule for next week. Looks like the one day a week gig is done. I am scheduled for three days and it looks like some are also overtime days. As new as I am, I do not know if this is a short or long term trend. I remember when I was young and working my first job in a grocery store, I came home and probably complained about something minor. My dad said "You went there asking for work, didn't you?" and I don't think that I ever complained about work again.

No comments: