Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 28, 29, 2008 Disney World, Orlando and Apopka, FL

Yesterday, January 28, I worked my first day OJT at Disney Hollywood Studios. What an experience this was. I was given another foot tour of the Hollywood Studios and then taken to the Turkey Leg Restaurant portion of the Sunset Market Restaurants. This is located on Sunset Blvd. across the street from The Beauty and the Beast exhibit. I saw Mickey and Goofy meeting with children at a meet and greet spot where children can interact with and sometimes get autographs and pose for pictures from their favorite Disney characters. Different characters are available at different locations and times throughout Disney World at the various theme parks for these sessions. They are scheduled so one can identify where and when they will be so that they can attend. Large crowds of people from early morning to the time that I left at 6:30PM. I am regularly amazed at how happy the crowds are, almost to the person. People save for years so that they can come here and disappear into "Dreamworld." The people that approached the restaurant where I was working were in a jovial mood and I must have heard a bejillion accents with people from all over the world coming here to live out Walt Disney's dream. The Turkey Leg Restaurant features just what one would expect - 16 ounce turkey legs. I heard them described as "Heaven on a bone" by a guest and, after tasting one, would have to agree. We also have salads, foot longs and chili dogs. There are five or six windows in the front and most were usually busy. The way that they have trained the other cast members and the way that I am being trained makes it so that the guest does not have another birthday while waiting in line for service. I had a ball when guests would see the "Earning my ears" red ribbon hanging from my name tag - "Oh, no. I got the Newbie," and then they would laugh and carry on a conversation. My trainers encourage me to talk with as many guests as possible, just so that it doesn't slow down the operation if really busy. i believe that I have been given an intro to heaven - being TOLD to do my favorite thing, talk with people. Today Carol and I went to Orlando and Apopka to do some work on a new file that I have. The temperature is in the low 70s and it is sunny. What a day to be out and about. Carol's prescription cream for her knees arrived yesterday and it seems like it will take a while to perform as advertised. We can only pray that it works so that we can get home without too much more discomfort and talk with her doctor about what next can be done for her. Tomorrow is another Carol and Jim day. We don't know what we are going to be doing but it will be what WE want to do, WHEN we want to do it. Retirement is difficult.

No comments: